Menu

CHS
Back Yard

Victorian & Edwardian Female Circus Costumes

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
  • 6 Jan 2022 1:02 PM
    Message # 12244740
    Anonymous

Hi all, I am researching into Victorian and Edwardian female circus costume (of aerialists, equestrianists, acrobats etc.) for my MA Costume dissertation. Historical circus costume is absolutely fascinating to me, however it is proving very hard to find sources of original garments from pre-1910!

If anyone knows of any particularly good collections of antique circus costumes that I could visit (in the UK/Europe) that would be amazing. Additionally, if anyone owns or knows someone who owns any extant Victorian or Edwardian circus costume, or even any photographs of female performers in costume, who would be happy to discuss and share imagery about, this would be incredibly invaluable to my research. I would also welcome any suggestions of additional sources e.g. written documents, that mention or describe historical circus costume if anyone knows of any.

Thank you for your time!

Last modified: 12 Jan 2022 2:04 PM | Bruce Hawley (Administrator)
    Split from General Questions: 7 Jan 2022 2:32 PM
  • 7 Jan 2022 9:12 PM
    Reply # 12248112 on 12244740
    Bruce Hawley (Administrator)

In response to your request for photographs, Circus Historical Society Trustee John Polacsek provided the following photos from a 1908 issue of Leslie's Weekly and the 1902 Ringling Bros. Circus Route Book. He also suggested that you may find additional photographs from this era in the online circus route books collection at the Milner Library at Illinois State University.  Circus Route Books | Milner Library - Illinois State.

Last modified: 7 Jan 2022 9:16 PM | Bruce Hawley (Administrator)
  • 7 Jan 2022 9:33 PM
    Reply # 12248117 on 12244740

In response to your request for UK and European collections of antique circus costumes, Circus Historical Society Trustee Al Stencell provided the following recommendations: 

"I am sure that the Fairground and Circus Archives at Sheffield, University would have information on costumes. I would send an inquiry to them as they obtained the huge Circus Fans of Great Britain  collection. I would think if you contacted my friend Don Stacey through the King Pole magazine, he would also know costume places. I believe his husband was in the fabric business.

I am also sure there would be examples in the Arts Decor Museum that use to be in Paris, but was moved to Marseilles.

One of the best museums I had seen for show stuff was the puppet museum in Lubeck, Germany. They have a huge collection and many films of circus and fairground plus thousands of puppets and whole touring puppet theaters. The puppets' costumes reflect the show costumes of the times.

I would also look up the fairground museum in Essen ,Germany that my late friend Ereck Knock operated. (It's just a few blocks from the main station). He had the largest collection of circus and fairground prints of any collection. Also, my late friend Roland Wiesse, who was a circus agent for many years in East Germany, had a circus museum up north of Berlin in a small village. This is a huge collection. I do not know if his family kept it going, but it would be worth finding out. There is a big artist federation there.

In Switzerland, the Knie family has a collection of show costumes going back. I would source that out. I saw a lot of show costumes of various eras when I visited the downtown museum which I believe is now closed. My friend the former press agent for Circus Knie, Cris Krenger would know. Knie management could hook you up with him.

Also, in Vienna there is a clown and circus museum that has a lot of costumes plus the Prater Museum.

For those that have never studied the business, they must realize that many shows besides circus had similar wardrobes. You may want to check out fairground collections, cabaret, burlesque collections.

I do know that my friend Jean-Paul Favand, showed me 500 or more costumes he had bought from the Moulin Rouge a few years back. He even had the original costumes of Josephine Baker. He has the Museum of Fete Forain in Paris out in the old wine warehouse district know as  De Bucey. I tramped around it when it was the old wine warehouse and distribution center in the 1970s. Now, it is a hip restaurant in an expensive area with it’s own subway stop.  It is also home to the Film Museum.  Favand’s place is huge and on the back side of the development . Only open on Sunday’s by appointment at 3PM.

I have been to all these places many times. There are also numerous municipal collections all over the place.

Enjoy,

Al Stencell"

• 8 Jan 2022 2:47 PM
    Reply # 12249210 on 12248117
    Anonymous

Thank you so much Al Stencell and John Polacsek for all of your amazing suggestions, you've both provided me with some really great starting points for my research! Thank you both so much for taking the time to respond. I'm so pleased I stumbled across this site! 

Thank you again! 

• 8 Jan 2022 8:50 PM
    Reply # 12249568 on 12244740
    Susan Fairchild

I’ve been going thru some old family photos that includes many photos of female circus performers pre-1910, including aerialists and equestrians.

it would take some doing to digitize them all but I could share a couple to start and you could let me know if they are helpful.

• 9 Jan 2022 11:43 AM
    Reply # 12250269 on 12244740

Here is some additional information provided by John Polacsek:

Other examples of pre-1910 circus costumes, can be found in the John Robinson Circus Album held by the Cincinnati Historical Museum. There are some two hundred photos in the album with a number of them being performers. The Robinson collection also included a number of early costumes, but if I remember right, they were from the 1920s. But they could also be earlier as the collection also includes some earlier material. The museum should have a listing of what is in their holdings. John Polacsek

Last modified: 9 Jan 2022 11:58 AM | Bruce Hawley (Administrator)
  • 9 Jan 2022 11:55 AM
    Reply # 12250287 on 12244740

In supplement of his earlier reply, Al Stencell provided these photos of historic Moulin Rouge costumes from the Jean-Paul Favand collection.

Last modified: 9 Jan 2022 11:57 AM | Bruce Hawley (Administrator)
  • 10 Jan 2022 9:56 AM
    Reply # 12252130 on 12244740
    Charlie Holland

London's Victoria and Albert Museum has costumes - see https://collections.vam.ac.uk/search/?q=circus%2Bcostume&year_made_from=&year_made_to=

• 13 Jan 2022 10:44 AM
    Reply # 12259856 on 12244740
    Anonymous

Here are a couple of the photos I mentioned a few days ago of costumes from pre-1910.  Hope they help.

• 14 Jan 2022 5:04 AM
    Reply # 12261565 on 12244740
    Charlie Holland

Azella's acrobatic flying corset is in the Museum of London Museum of London | Free museum in London

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >>