Menu

CHS
Back Yard

Lange and Sharpe Dancers

• 9 Jan 2022 5:53 PM
    Message # 12250925
    Anonymous

I am trying to find information about two sisters who were dancers in the mid-late-1800s: Dolly Woodward and Kitty (Kittie) Sharpe.  They danced together as Lange and Sharpe, they performed in The Black Crook, were sand dancers in various circuses, but I don't have any more information on them.

• 10 Jan 2022 10:04 PM
    Reply # 12253735 on 12250925
    Bruce Hawley (Administrator)

In response to your request for information, Circus Historical Society Trustee John Polacsek recommended the following article by Don Meade entitled: "Kitty Sharpe - Circus and Stage Sand Dancer." In particular, please refer to the last section of this article entitled: "Circus Summers and Stage Winters." KittySharpe 3-29-20.pdf

Last modified: 10 Jan 2022 10:07 PM | Bruce Hawley (Administrator)
  • 11 Jan 2022 11:02 AM
    Reply # 12254833 on 12250925
    Anonymous

Thank you!  I have seen the series of articles from The Saratogian, but there was more information in this article that I was unaware of, and the footnotes give me more places to research.  Thank you! 

• 13 Jan 2022 8:16 AM
    Reply # 12259588 on 12250925
    David Carlyon
    For what it's worth, William Slout's Olympians of the Sawdust Circle, biographical dictionary of 19th-century circus performers, devotes a few lines to Kitty Sharpe but doesn't include Woodward.
  • 13 Jan 2022 4:04 PM
    Reply # 12260660 on 12250925

Here is some additional information from CHS Trustee John Polacsek:

"The Kitty Sharpe story was created by Don Meade in 2020 after reading her history in her home town newspaper of Saratoga Springs, New York.

Apparently Kitty went on a short season with the L. B. Lent Circus in 1874. In 1875, she toured with the Howes & Cushing Circus through New England. In 1876 the Cooper & Bailey Circus went across the country to California. She spent some time in San Francisco theatres then went in October 1877 to rejoin the circus in Australia where she was listed in the route book in the concert as Miss Kitty Sharpe and sang a ballad.  In 1879, the Great Commonwealth Circus opened on May 5 at Frankfort, Pa. in the Philadelphia area under the management of Pete Conkln. It was a short season as the show ended up closing in Virginia in July and was sold at auction at Norfolk, Va. on July 8.She reportedly was on the John Robinson Circus, no date, but in checking the 1883 Barnum & Bailey route book she does not appear, as she claimed. She could have been there earlier in the season and was not around when the route book was composed. In 1886 she was reported to be on the Cole Younger & Frank James Wild West Show. However, this show was only the road in 1903 so the date is skeptical. At some time she was also reportedly on the Adam Forepaugh Circus.

I did find Dolly Sharpe in the 1893 Barnum & Bailey route book. She was singing in the Columbus Spec and she was also listed in the Concert Company. She performed as Lang & Sharpe - composed of Sam & Dollie and they were listed as comedy sketch artists. In the 1896 Barnum & Bailey route book Dolly Sharpe was a member of the concert company. She was listed as Dolly Sharpe doing a Skipping Rope Dance. She also performed as Lang & Sharpe doing comedy sketches. It looks like she was still connected with Sam Lang doing the act.

John Polacsek

PS 

I also found Kittie Sharp in the 1886 Barnum and Bailey route book She was listed working in the concert doing Irish reels and jigs  So that is the correct show she was on in 1886." 

• 17 Jan 2022 4:57 PM
    Reply # 12272649 on 12250925
    Anonymous

Thank you so much for this information!  I am been able to look through two other years' route books, trying to find more references.  So far, only to E. Fritz (Smith) who was Kitty's husband (clown, acrobat, mailman) and to one of their sons. Another son, Eddie Smith, became a vaudeville performer- clown, acrobat- with Cornalla.

Dolly Sharp(e) was married first to Sam Lang (not sure the circumstances of the end of the marriage) and then to Woodward.  

Still pulling the details together, so if anyone comes across any more, I'm so happy for the help!

This is such a great forum!!

Susan

• 17 Jan 2022 5:04 PM
    Reply # 12272683 on 12259588
    Anonymous
    David Carlyon wrote:For what it's worth, William Slout's Olympians of the Sawdust Circle, biographical dictionary of 19th-century circus performers, devotes a few lines to Kitty Sharpe but doesn't include Woodward.

If you have a chance, could you check on the variations of Dolly's name in the Olympians book?:

Dolly Sharpe, or Dolly Lang(e),  and their mother who went by the stage name Rose St. Audley

• 18 Jan 2022 7:18 AM
    Reply # 12275345 on 12250925

Olympians of the Sawdust Circle is available for research on the Circus Historical Society’s “Classic” website which is archived at https://wayback.archive-it.org/12957/20200724135515/https://classic.circushistory.org/History/People.htm

Last modified: 19 Jan 2022 1:36 PM | Bruce Hawley (Administrator)
  • 19 Jan 2022 7:45 AM
    Reply # 12280222 on 12250925
    Susan Fairchild

Got it!  Thank you!!