Menu

CHS
Back Yard

Winter Quarters

• 16 Dec 2021 8:25 PM
    Message # 12197903
    Bruce Hawley (Administrator)

Circus enthusiasts and historians visit circus winter quarter sites like baseball fans visit baseball stadiums! What former and current circus winter quarters sites have you visited? 

Last modified: 16 Dec 2021 9:49 PM | Bruce Hawley (Administrator)
  • 16 Dec 2021 8:35 PM
    Reply # 12197926 on 12197903

Former Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus winter quarter sites in Bridgeport, CT, Baraboo, WI and Sarasota, FL. Former American Circus Corporation winter quarters in Peru, IN. Circus Roncalli winter quarters in Cologne Germany.

• 17 Dec 2021 5:54 PM
    Reply # 12199803 on 12197903

Additional Replies from Facebook

• William Carroll

Let's see, . . . Baraboo, Peru, French Lick, and unwittingly, Culver City (Al. G. Barnes).

• Harry Kingston

Clyde Beatty Cole Bros Circus that was full of circus stuff from many years past and Carson and Barnes that was a show in its self. If you name it, they had it new and from years past. D R Miller let us get what we wanted and we discovered a semi full of posters and we helped our selves and it was Christmas!

Cindy Weidley Potter 

Clyde Beatty-Cole Bros. In Deland (actually “home” for 12 winters!) Carson & Barnes, Culpepper Merriwhether, Kelly Miller

Last modified: 20 Dec 2021 11:23 AM | Bruce Hawley (Administrator)
  • 18 Dec 2021 10:35 AM
    Reply # 12201006 on 12197903
    Chris Berry

Amazing as it now seems, when I was a teenager (and before I could drive) my mother would drive me to Ringling’s Venice winter quarters and I would walk in to the practice arena with a clipboard and watch rehearsals. All these years later I still remember strolling through security and nobody asked a question. I would sit there in the seats with a stopwatch and time the acts while taking notes… Looking back now it is still kind of surreal.

• 18 Dec 2021 12:16 PM
    Reply # 12201280 on 12197903
    David Orr

Ringling Bros Circus Winterquarters,  Sarasota, Baraboo,, WI and Venice, FL. Mills Bros Circus Winterquarters Circleville, Ashtabula County Fairgrounds,  Ohio State Fairgrounds Buildings, Darke County Fairgrounds Ohio. Paul Kelly Winterquarters Peru, IN. Floyd Gooding Carvinal shops, Columbus, OH. Kelly-Miller and Carson & Barnes Hugo, OK.  

Last modified: 20 Dec 2021 11:24 AM | Bruce Hawley (Administrator)